Renovite Technologies’ Cloud-Native Toolset
Author: Anton Godfrey, Senior Product Manager
21st-century demands need 21st-century solutions. The trouble is, the vast proportion of banks and other FIs aren’t using modern solutions. Instead, they use old systems underpinned by legacy technology and architecture designed back in the 1980s and 1990s. Renovite Technologies firmly believe the future lies in cloud technology, and by that, I mean ‘cloud-native’ technology. There’s an important distinction to be made between ‘cloud-based’ services, particularly in the payments industry, and real cloud-native technology.
A monolithic legacy application in a traditional hosted managed service with a service-oriented wrapper does not offer the real benefits of cloud technology. From design to implementation, deployment and operation, all Renovite’s solutions are unambiguous, future-proofed and 100% cloud-native.
Renovite uses state-of-the-art cloud technology and tools that inherit all the real benefits of cloud architecture: lower costs, better security, elastic scalability, agility, portability, and high availability of service, none of which are truly achievable with monolithic alternatives.
We build and deliver cloud-native applications in-line with the specific requirements of each organisation we work with using:
- DevSecOps: The incorporation of security into the development pipeline, scanning dependent libraries for security issues and enforcing policies on internal shared libraries during not after delivery.
- Containerisation: Using Docker, Renovite can build and ship software in a standard and consistent manner and manage it using Kubernetes container orchestration engines in cloud environments.
- Test Automation: The DevSecOps pipeline includes Renovite’s Reno-Test test automation platform for complete regression certification of each build for QA approval and release.
- Secure delivery: The pipeline delivers into Renovite’s Private Docker Hub Repositories ready for delivery to customers securely.
Renovite builds and delivers products using a suite of cloud-native foundation technologies, including:
- Kubernetes: Maintained by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, Kubernetes is a production-grade, open-source container-orchestration system for automating application deployment, scaling, and management. Renovite deploys and orchestrate containerised Applications using Kubernetes either installed On-Premise or in a Cloud Environment as Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS).
- Terraform: An open-source infrastructure-as-code (IaC) software tool enabling users to define and provision a datacentre infrastructure using a configuration language. Terragrunt is also used to provide extra tools for a greater abstraction for Multicloud Support
- Docker: A set of coupled Software-as-a-service (SaaS) and Platform-as-a-service (PaaS) tools that package an application and its dependencies into a virtual, deployable container that can run on any Linux server. This enables flexibility and portability on where the application can run
- EFK Stack: The Elasticsearch/Fluentbit/Kibana stack is used to collect, index, search, and visualise log data e.g. stdout/stderr logs in local pods. Kibana views can be embedded in external UIs
- Prometheus: An open-source software application used for event/application monitoring and alerting. It records real-time metrics in a time series database allowing for high dimensionality and has flexible queries and real-time alerting
- Grafana: A Dashboarding/Visualisation tool to make Prometheus data meaningful to operations staff. Grafana views can be embedded in external UIs.